Hot on the heels of all of the novel incentive programs instituted by major automakers (“We’ll buy back your car if you become unemployed or if your half-brother’s girlfriend doesn’t like the color!”), Valvoline announces their newest program: guaranteeing your engine for 300,000 miles if you use their oil. Make the jump to read all of the juicy details.
Of course, there are some qualifications here. They’re summarized below in the terms and conditions, but in summary, you need to have a car newer than 1990 with less than 75,000 miles, and you need to keep very good records and change your oil every 4,000 miles. If you have a qualifying failure, they’ll front up to $5,000 to cover replacement. “Regular” oils (not the premium ones) carry a 150,000 mile guarantee. The point has been made that this won’t really help all that many folks, but if you have a car that has certain congenital defects (pre-1994 shortnose crank Mazda Miata 1.6L owners, you have been put on notice), this MAY provide a measure of reassurance. Who doesn’t like assurance? Seems like if Valvoline remains as cheap as any other oil, why not take advantage? That’s our take.
Full legal-speak details below!
Use Valvoline and we’ll guarantee your engine for up to 300,000 miles!
Beginning May 2009, if you register your vehicle here before it has 75,000 miles, change your oil every 3,000 miles using Valvoline (either yourself or through a qualified service provider), we’ll guarantee your engine for up to 300,000 miles. No other motor oil offers this guarantee … but then again, they’re not Valvoline!
Our products are so good we’re standing behind them and the people who use them. We know that engines receiving routine maintenance using Valvoline products don’t fail. Sometimes, though, engine damage can happen. And, if your engine breaks down then Valvoline will help get you running again!
Valvoline offers three (3) different levels of protection.
Type of Valvoline Motor Oil Guarantee
SynPower Full Synthetic or MaxLife Full Synthetic 300,000 Miles
MaxLife or DuraBlend 225,000 Miles
Premium Conventional 150,000 Miles
So register now before 75,000 miles!
Our mission is to help you make your engine last. We’ll put our money where our mouth is. Of course, some limitations apply. See below.
Back to top
* Be registered before 75,000 miles.
* Be a privately owned (not leased) passenger car, van or pick-up/light truck.
* Weigh less than 8,000 pounds (18-wheel commercial trucking vehicles not covered).
* Be model year 1990 or newer.
Vehicle can not:
* Be used for competitive or agricultural purposes.
* Have an engine that has been modified by owner with non-factory original parts.
* Powered by a diesel engine.
A maximum of 20 vehicles may be registered per household.
Back to top
* Complete the easy, 3-step on-line registration process on this website.
* For residents of California only, the failure to complete vehicle registration on-line does not diminish the consumer’s right under this limited warranty. However, a California resident who does not complete vehicle registration must still comply with all other eligibility requirements.
Back to top
How it works:
* Purchase and use the type of Valvoline oil for the guarantee level you select.
* Change the vehicle’s oil using the appropriate Valvoline motor oil viscosity grade specified for your vehicle, every 3,000 miles. Check the owner’s manual for the right grade of oil (10W-30, etc). There is a 1,000 mile grace period. So, oil must be changed at least every 4,000 miles.
* When you do change your oil, track your oil changes here with us on-line.
* Keep purchase or service receipts as proof-of-purchase. If you have the oil changed at Valvoline Instant Oil Change, your on-line account will be automatically updated by Valvoline.
* Replace the oil filter with each oil change.
Additional benefits, terms, conditions, and exclusions
Don’t worry; we know your life can get hectic at times so we’ve built in some flexibility to help you maintain your guarantee.
Back to top
Valvoline has a “forgiveness” policy allowing you three “exceptions” to keep your vehicle under guarantee — even if you have three errors involving the following:
* Not changing oil within 4,000 miles (but less than 6,000 miles) of previous oil change.
* Not recording an oil change within 90 days of service.
* Forgetting to record an oil change.
* Using the wrong type of oil for the level you chose.
Back to top
* All labor and parts costs are covered and paid directly to service provider— you make no payments.
* If repair costs exceed the vehicle’s value, Valvoline may pay an amount equal to the vehicle’s value as set forth by Kelley Blue Book or similar source.
* Even though the average cost to restore engine operation was less than $2,500 during 2008, Valvoline’s total coverage will extend to cover costs up to $5,000 over the life of your participation.
Back to top
* The only claims not covered under the Valvoline program are the result of: collision/accident; fire, water or flood damage; overheating; negligent or intentional damage; timing belt or chain failure; improper service or maintenance; defect attributable to the vehicle manufacturer; improper installation of any part; coolant contamination; or the failure to keep the motor oil and engine coolant at levels prescribed by the manufacturer.
* Engine failure means a) the engine will not run, solely due to lubricated engine part and component failures, and b) all other systems and components (such as cooling and exhaust systems) are working properly.
* All lubricated engine parts and components (cylinder heads, oil pump, pistons) are covered except for the timing chain. No other components or systems, (such as a turbocharger and supercharger) are covered.
Back to top
* Your guarantee is not transferable. If you sell the vehicle, the new owner will not be able to participate.
Coverage by Other Warranties or Extended Service Contracts
Back to top
* Any existing manufacturer warranty will be applied before Valvoline pays for repairs.
* Any manufacturers’ warranty, which can typically cover your engine beyond 3 years/30,000 miles, or extended service contract would be applied first. Valvoline will work with participants to understand if they are covered by other agreements first. If they are not covered by the manufacturer, then Valvoline initiates coverage.
* However, if a consumer has otherwise complied with the Terms and Conditions, Valvoline will pay the deductible of extended service contracts even if they are already covered under another agreement.
Manufacturer Defects / Engine Recalls
Back to top
* Defects in vehicle manufacture that should be the responsibility of the manufacturer are not covered. This program will exclude engine failure related to recalls – or any recall related issue that needs to be handled by the manufacturer.
Back to top
* This program is only available in the United States of America.
FILING A CLAIM:
Back to top
Consumers are eligible to file claims 18 months after registering. However, the guarantee doesn’t cover damage occurring in the first 18 months after registration. That’s because we need to establish a short history of routine maintenance for the vehicle. Don’t worry, we’ll help you do that by sending you maintenance reminders and car care tips.
Visit www.engineguarantee.com within 30 days of engine failure for instructions on filing a claim.
Consumers may be required to provide Valvoline with all of the following:
* Copies of all service and purchase receipts that will verify compliance.
* A copy of the current Vehicle Registration.
* Documentation of the engine damage and estimated repair costs.
* A copy of any extended service contract.
Valvoline may require the vehicle be repaired at a certified repair facility or performed by an ASE Certified Technician.
VALVOLINE LIMITED ENGINE WARRANTY
Back to top
If the engine in a Qualifying Vehicle has a Qualifying Engine Breakdown, Valvoline, a division of Ashland Inc. (“Valvoline”), will pay the reasonable expenses for the repair or replacement of Covered Engine Parts and the associated labor to restore these Covered Engine Parts to operation, subject to the exclusions, limitations, terms, conditions, Eligibility Requirements, and consumer obligations set forth in this limited warranty (collectively, this “Limited Warranty”). BUT VALVOLINE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, TOWING, LODGING, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF PROFITS, DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF OTHER PROPERTY OR PERSONS. Some states may not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so that exclusion may not apply to you. This Limited Warranty gives you certain legal rights. You may have other rights that vary from state to state.
Capitalized terms not defined in this Limited Warranty shall have the meanings commonly ascribed to them.
This Limited Warranty is available only to the consumers who have complied with all Eligibility Requirements and who are at least 16 years of age at the Effective Date (“Covered Consumers”). For purposes of this Limited Warranty a Covered Consumer may include a business entity (e.g., corporation, partnership, limited liability company, or similar entities).
WARRANTY EFFECTIVE DATE AND COVERAGE COMMENCEMENT DATE
This Limited Warranty becomes effective once the Covered Consumer has (i)(a) purchased qualifying Valvoline motor oil and changed oil in the Qualifying Vehicle (a “do it yourself” or “DIY oil change”) or (b) purchased an oil change that uses qualifying Valvoline motor oil for the Qualifying Vehicle (a “do it for me” or “DIFM” oil change), and (ii) completed the registration process (together, conditions (i) and (ii) shall comprise “Vehicle Registration”). Vehicle Registration must occur on or after May 15, 2009. Coverage commences on the later of: (a) 18 months after the date of Vehicle Registration, (b) the date the Qualifying Vehicle has been driven 7,501 miles since the date it was enrolled, or (c) the date the Qualifying Vehicle has had at least 2 oil changes since the date it was enrolled (the “Coverage Commencement Date”).
DURATION OF WARRANTY
This Limited Warranty covers the Qualifying Vehicle during the period from the Coverage Commencement Date through the date the Qualifying Vehicle reaches Maximum Mileage, as defined below under “Levels of Protection,” unless the Covered Consumer fails at any time to fully comply with this Limited Warranty.
Levels of Protection: Valvoline offers three different levels of protection which cover the Covered Consumer’s Qualifying Vehicle up to the following maximum number of miles (the “Maximum Mileage”):
150,000 Miles: To be eligible, Covered Consumers must change oil every 3,000 miles continuously and exclusively using Valvoline Premium Conventional Motor Oil (or a Valvoline oil listed below in a higher level of protection).
225,000 Miles: To be eligible, Covered Consumer must change oil every 3,000 miles continuously and exclusively using either Valvoline MaxLife Motor Oil or Valvoline DuraBlend Motor Oil (or a Valvoline oil listed below in a higher level of protection).
300,000 Miles: To be eligible, Covered Consumers must change oil every 3,000 miles continuously and exclusively using Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil, Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic Motor Oil.
There is a 1,000 mile grace period for every oil change so that a Covered Consumer may change oil between 3,000 and 4,000 miles without violating the terms of this Limited Warranty. Valvoline may add or subtract motor oils from the above categories as products are discontinued, as new products are added, or as deemed reasonable by Valvoline in its discretion. A Covered Consumer may change the level of protection for a Qualifying Vehicle at any time before the Qualifying Vehicle reaches 75,000 miles. A Covered Consumer who originally enrolls in the 225,000 or 300,000 mile protection level may change to a lower level of protection after the Qualifying Vehicle reaches 75,000 miles. In order to change the level of protection, the Covered Consumer must follow the instructions on www.valvoline.com or www.engineguarantee.com and comply with the requirements for the new level of protection chosen.
Qualifying Vehicles: A Qualifying Vehicle is a privately owned passenger car, van or pickup/light truck that has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 10,000 pounds and the odometer has fewer than 75,000 at the time of registration and fewer than 79,001 miles on the date of its first qualifying oil change on or after June 1, 2009. “Qualifying Vehicles” excludes: a) leased vehicles, b) vehicles used for competitive or agricultural purposes, c) vehicles where the engine has been modified with equipment or parts that are not factory original parts or equipment, d) vehicles that have been modified with non-factory equipment or accessories (e.g., snow plow attachment, etc.), e) vehicles with diesel engines, f) vehicles that are more than 19 years old at the time they are enrolled, and g) kit cars. Each Covered Consumer may enroll up to 20 vehicles under this Limited Warranty. The Covered Consumer must be the owner of the Qualifying Vehicle enrolled.
Vehicle Registration: Covered Consumers must enroll their Qualifying Vehicle and select the level of protection desired, complete the online registration form, and agree to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty by visiting www.valvoline.com or www.engineguarantee.com. FOR RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA ONLY, THE FAILURE TO COMPLETE VEHICLE REGISTRATION DOES NOT DIMINISH THE COVERED CONSUMER’S LIMITED WARRANTY RIGHTS UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY. A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT THAT DOES NOT COMPLETE VEHICLE REGISTRATION MUST COMPLY WITH ALL OTHER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO BE COVERED BY THIS LIMITED WARRANTY, AND COVERAGE OF CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS SUBJECT TO ALL EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS LISTED IN THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
Consumer Obligations: Covered Consumers must record their vehicle mileage at the completion of Vehicle Registration. THE COVERED CONSUMER MUST CHANGE THE QUALIFYING VEHICLE’S OIL EXCLUSIVELY AND CONTINUOUSLY WITH VALVOLINE® MOTOR OIL EVERY 3,000 MILES (OR WITHIN THE 1,000 MILE GRACE PERIOD) TO QUALIFY FOR THIS LIMITED WARRANTY. Covered Consumers must go to www.valvoline.com or www.engineguarantee.com and record oil changes with the following required information within 90 days after the oil change occurred: date of oil change, mileage at time of oil change, product used and retailer where product was purchased or service location performing the oil change, and such other information as may be requested. Covered Consumers are required to maintain their receipts as proof of purchase and will be required to submit all receipts if a claim is submitted, including receipts for all engine-related maintenance recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Receipts must be printed (not hand written) and specify clearly and unambiguously the following information: use of Valvoline oil for the oil change, and the type of oil used (e.g., premium conventional, Durablend, SynPower, etc.), viscosity of Valvoline oil used, and oil filter used.
ADDITIONAL TERMS, CONDITIONS, LIMITATIONS, AND EXCLUSIONS
1. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER ANY DAMAGE THAT OCCURS PRIOR TO THE COVERAGE COMMENCEMENT DATE.
2. “Covered Engine Parts” means all “oil wetted” engine parts and components, (e.g. cylinder heads, oil pump, pistons) except for the timing chain. Covered Engine Parts does not include the following: a) all fuel system parts, b) all ignition, starting and electrical system parts, c) turbocharger and supercharger systems, d) the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, and e) exhaust manifolds. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY COVERS THE COVERED ENGINE PARTS, INCLUDING LABOR COSTS FOR REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE COVERED ENGINE PARTS, AND THIS LIMITED WARRANTY COVERS NO OTHER PARTS OR LABOR. Costs associated with the repair or replacement of all other parts and accessories, as well as related labor costs, are solely the responsibility of the Covered Consumer. Replacement will be made with a part that is of a like kind and quality (i.e., new, remanufactured or used parts) compatible with the original design specifications and wear tolerances of the Covered Vehicle.
3. “Qualifying Engine Breakdown” means an engine related failure where a) the engine will not run, solely due to “oil wetted” part and component failures, and b) the vehicle electrical, fuel, computer engine management, cooling, induction and exhaust systems are all working properly, and are not the cause of engine failure. A Qualifying Engine Breakdown does not include the reduction in operating performance due to wear and tear.
4. Each qualifying oil change must include an oil filter replacement and enough required Valvoline motor oil to fill the Qualifying Vehicle’s crankcase. The Qualifying Vehicle engine must be serviced exclusively with the vehicle manufacturer’s required viscosity grade by the Covered Consumer, vehicle dealer, commercial automobile facility or a commercial quick lube facility.
5. IF YOUR VEHICLE MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDS A FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL, YOU WILL ONLY BE COVERED BY THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IF YOU SIGN UP FOR THE 300,000 MILE WARRANTY FOR VALVOLINE’S LINE OF SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL.
6. The Covered Consumer must replace the Qualifying Vehicle’s air filter as often as the Qualifying Vehicle manufacturer recommends. The Covered Consumer must maintain the Qualifying Vehicle’s emission control system in compliance with the Qualifying Vehicle’s manufacturer recommendations. The Covered Consumer must comply with all scheduled engine maintenance recommended by the Qualifying Vehicle’s manufacturer as outlined in the Qualifying Vehicle’s owners manual. The Covered Consumer’s owners manual may have differing recommendations for normal and severe driving conditions. The Covered Consumer must follow the maintenance schedule that applies to his or her driving conditions. The Covered Consumer must repair significant oil leaks and perform other necessary maintenance and repairs to prevent damage to the engine.
7. Valvoline may require that the Qualifying Vehicle be repaired at a certified repair facility or performed by an ASE Mechanic for approved engine claim repair work under this Limited Warranty.
8. Valvoline may pay the repair facility that performs the repair or reimburse the Covered Consumer. At Valvoline’s option, if the cost of repair exceeds the value of the Qualifying Vehicle, Valvoline may pay the Covered Consumer an amount equal to the private sale value of the Qualifying Vehicle on the date of Qualifying Engine Breakdown as set forth by Kelley Blue Book or some other similar listing of vehicle values if a Kelley Blue Book value is not available. VALVOLINE’S LIABILITY TO PAY FOR REPAIRS (OR THE VALUE OF THE QUALIFYING VEHICLE) IS LIMITED TO A TOTAL OF $5,000.00 OVER THE LIFE OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY. The Covered Consumer will be solely responsible for the amount that the repairs or vehicle value exceed $5,000.00 Valvoline’s obligation to repair or replace any listed/covered part, as may be required, is the sole and exclusive remedy available to you under this Limited Warranty. Valvoline is only responsible for the repairs it approves.
9. If Valvoline pays anything under this Limited Warranty, and the Covered Consumer has a right to recover costs from another party, the Covered Consumer’s rights will become Valvoline’s rights, up to the amount Valvoline paid. And the Covered Consumer will do whatever is necessary to enable Valvoline to enforce these rights.
10. The failure of any Covered Engine Part that is related to any pending legal proceeding or recall or for which the manufacturer has announced its responsibility by any means, is excluded from coverage under this Limited Warranty.
11. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER CLAIMS ALSO COVERED BY THE QUALIFYING VEHICLE’S MANUFACTURER WARRANTY OR ANY EXTENDED SERVICE CONTRACT. However, if a Covered Consumer has otherwise complied with this Limited Warranty, Valvoline will pay the deductible amount to be paid by the Covered Consumer under any existing extended service contract previously purchased by the Covered Consumer which covers engine damage to the Qualifying Vehicle. This Limited Warranty does not extend the Qualifying Vehicle manufacturer’s warranty.
12. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER CLAIMS THAT ARE THE RESULT OF: COLLISION OR OTHER ACCIDENT; THEFT; VANDALISM; RIOT; EXPLOSION; EARTHQUAKE; LIGHTNING; FREEZING; OVERHEATING; INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL FIRE; WATER OR FLOOD DAMAGE (INCLUDING PRIOR FLOOD DAMAGE); NEGLIGENT, RECKLESS, KNOWING OR INTENTIONAL DAMAGE; TIMING BELT OR CHAIN FAILURE; IMPROPER SERVICE OR MAINTENANCE; DEFECT ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER; IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF ANY PART; FLUID CONTAMINATION (I.E., COOLANT, FUEL, WATER OR FOREIGN MATERIAL); OR THE FAILURE TO KEEP THE MOTOR OIL AND ENGINE COOLANT AT LEVELS PRESCRIBED BY THE MANUFACTURER. Valvoline may refuse payment of any claims that otherwise comply with the terms of this Limited Warranty where Valvoline believes in good faith that one or more of these causes contributed to the damage claimed.
13. This Limited Warranty may be deemed void by Valvoline in its sole discretion if the Covered Consumer records the type of oil used or mileage interval incorrectly or if the Qualifying Vehicle’s true mileage cannot be determined (for example, due to a malfunctioning odometer).
14. Unless earlier terminated for non-compliance with the terms and conditions, all coverage under this Limited Warranty ends on June 1, 2029 or when the odometer reading has exceeded the mileage Term restrictions, whichever occurs first. Any claims accruing after 12:00 AM, Eastern Daylight Time on June 2, 2029, shall not be covered by this Limited Warranty. All claims must be filed on or before July 1, 2029. Valvoline may extend the expiration date of this Limited Warranty without notice.
15. This Limited Warranty is only available in the United States of America, which includes the 50 states and the District of Columbia but does not include any U.S. territories.
16. This Limited Warranty may not be transferred or assigned.
17. Each Qualifying Vehicle is allowed up to three “exceptions” relating to the Covered Consumer’s compliance obligations. This Limited Warranty will become null and void if an enrolled Qualifying Vehicle has more than three qualifying exceptions. Valvoline reserves the right to determine whether any failure by a Covered Consumer to strictly comply with their obligations qualifies as a “exception” in Valvoline’s sole discretion. Qualifying “exception” includes, but may not be limited to, a) failing to change oil within 4,000 miles (but less than 6,000 miles) of the previous oil change, b) failing to record an oil change within 90 days of the date the oil change occurred, or c) using the wrong type of oil required for the level of protection desired (i.e., using premium conventional oil rather than SynPower full synthetic oil). If the Covered Consumer fails to change oil within 6,000 miles from the previous oil change, that event will not be considered a qualifying “exception”, and this Limited Warranty will become null and void.
18. Valvoline may add coverage categories or discontinue offering coverage categories at any time in its sole discretion without notice. Valvoline may close registration for this Limited Warranty at any time without notice. If Valvoline discontinues coverage for a category, no new registrants will be allowed in the discontinued category. If Valvoline closes registration, no new registrations will be allowed. However, those Covered Consumers then participating in this Limited Warranty program will continue to be covered so long as they comply with all terms and conditions of the Limited Warranty.
19. These terms and conditions may only be changed by Valvoline.
FILING A CLAIM
To file a claim under this Limited Warranty, Covered Consumers must:
1. Be sure the Qualifying Vehicle is protected from further damage;
2. Upon discovery of the damages (but not later than 30 days from the date the damage occurred), visit www.valvoline.com or www.engineguarantee.com for instruction on filing a claim) or call 1-877-274-6703;
3. Contact the Administrator at its toll-free number listed above for repair approval prior to cleaning, repairing or replacing any covered parts;
4. Provide all information requested by Valvoline; and
5. Make the vehicle available for inspection at Valvoline’s request.
You may also file a claim by writing to Valvoline Engine Guarantee, PO Box 11336, Lexington, Kentucky 40512. If you submit a claim in writing, you must include all documentation listed below. After review of the claim, Valvoline may request additional information.
Covered Consumers may be required to provide Valvoline with all of the following:
* Copies of all service and purchase receipts and other documents that will verify compliance with this Limited Warranty.
* A copy of the current Vehicle Registration card.
* Documentation of the engine damage and estimated repair costs.
* A copy of any extended service contract.